Caecina sentence example
- Far from being ambitious or scheming, he was lazy and selfindulgent, fond of eating and drinking, and owed his elevation to the throne to Caecina and Valens, commanders of two legions on the Rhine.
- During his brief administration Vitellius showed indications of a desire to govern wisely, but he was completely under the control of Valens and Caecina, who for their own ends encouraged him in a course of vicious excesses which threw his better qualities into the background.
- At Langres he discovered Cicero's Oration for Caecina, at Monte Cassino a MS. of Frontinus.
- Otho's advanced guard successfully defended Placentia against Alienus Caecina, and compelled that general to fall back on Cremona.
- 6 mention is made of its governor, Caecina Severus (Dio Cassius lv.Advertisement
- Thus in the pro Caecina he alleges judicial corruption against a witness, Falcula, while in the pro Cluentio he contends that the offence was not proved (Caec. 28, Clu.
- ARRIA, in Roman history, the heroic wife of Caecina Paetus.
- 15, Pro Caecina 27, Philippic H.
- 69), having refused submission to Vitellius, their land was devastated by Alienus Caecina, and only the eloquent appeal of one of their leaders named Claudius Cossus saved them from annihilation.
- During the civil war he fought on the side of Otho against Vitellius, and obtained a considerable success against Aulus Caecina Alienus (one of the Vitellian generals) near Cremona, but did not follow it up. When Caecina had been joined by Fabius Valens, Paulinus advised his colleagues not to risk a decisive battle, but his advice was disregarded, and Otho (q.v.) was utterly defeated at Bedriacum.Advertisement
- Placentia is mentioned in connexion with its capture by Cinna and a defeat of the forces of Carbo in the neighbourhood (82 B.C.), a mutiny of Julius Caesar's garrison (50(50 B.C.), another mutiny under Augustus (40 B.C.), the defence of the city by Spurinna, Otho's general, against Caecina, Vitellius's general (A.D.