Batrachospermum sentence example
- Thorea, Lemanea, Tuomeya, Stenocladia, Batrachospermum, Balbiania are genera belonging entirely to fresh water; and Bangia, Chantransia, Caloglossa, Bostrychia and Delesseria contain each one or more freshwater species.
- In Batrachospermum the whole system of branches are retained within a diffluent gelatinous substance derived from the outer layers of the cell-walls.
- This fusion has been observed by Wille in Nemalion multifidim, and by Schmidle in Batrachospermum.
- In Batrachospermum filaments arise from the carpogonium on all sides; in Chantransia and Scinaia on one side only; in Helminthora the filaments are enclosed in a dense mucilage; in Nemalion, prior to the formation of the filaments, a sterile segment is cut off below.
- Batrachospermum sp., trichogyne with spermatia attached; carpo B.Advertisement
- Of the thousands of species which have said to be the case in Batrachospermum, it bears similar monospores.
- To take an example, Lemanea and Batrachospermum are Florideae which bear densely-whorled branches, but which, on the germination of the carpospore, give rise to a laxly-filamentous, somewhat irregularly-branched plant, from which the ordinary sexual plants arise at a later stage.
- Compare, for example, the blue-green Gloeocapsa with the green Gloeocystis, the red Batrachospermum with the green Draparnaldia, the red Corallina with the green Cymopolia, the green Enteromorpha with the brown Asperococcus, the green Ulva with the red Porphyra, the red Nemalion with the brown Castagnea, and so on.
- Schmidle, " Die Befruchtung, Keimung and Haarinsertion von Batrachospermum," Bot.