Batrachospermum sentence example
- Thorea, Lemanea, Tuomeya, Stenocladia, Batrachospermum, Balbiania are genera belonging entirely to fresh water; and Bangia, Chantransia, Caloglossa, Bostrychia and Delesseria contain each one or more freshwater species.
- In Batrachospermum the whole system of branches are retained within a diffluent gelatinous substance derived from the outer layers of the cell-walls.
- This fusion has been observed by Wille in Nemalion multifidim, and by Schmidle in Batrachospermum.
- In Batrachospermum filaments arise from the carpogonium on all sides; in Chantransia and Scinaia on one side only; in Helminthora the filaments are enclosed in a dense mucilage; in Nemalion, prior to the formation of the filaments, a sterile segment is cut off below.
- Of the thousands of species which have said to be the case in Batrachospermum, it bears similar monospores.Advertisement
- To take an example, Lemanea and Batrachospermum are Florideae which bear densely-whorled branches, but which, on the germination of the carpospore, give rise to a laxly-filamentous, somewhat irregularly-branched plant, from which the ordinary sexual plants arise at a later stage.