Basnage sentence example
- This gave rise to a charge of heresy, of which he was acquitted at the national synod held at Alengon in 1637, and presided over by Benjamin Basnage (1580-1652).
- Basnage de Beauval.
- JACQUES BASNAGE (1653-1723), French Protestant divine, was the eldest son of the eminent lawyer Henri Basnage, sieur de Franquenay (1615-1695), and was born at Rouen in Normandy in 1653.
- In 1716 Dubois, who was at the Hague at the instance of the regent Orleans, for the purpose of negotiating the Triple Alliance between France, Great Britain and Holland, sought the advice of Basnage, who, in spite of the fact that he had failed to receive permission to return to France on a short visit the year before, did his best to further the negotiations.Advertisement
- Basnage had welcomed the revival of the Protestant church due to the zeal of Antoine Court; but he assured the regent that no danger of active resistance was to be feared from it, and, true to the principles of Calvin, he denounced the rebellion of the Camisards in his Instructions pastorales aux Reformes de France sur l'obeissance due aux souverains (Paris, 1720), which was printed by order of the court and scattered broadcast in the south of France.
- Basnage died on the 22nd of September 1723.
- Basnage was a good preacher and a prolific writer.