Barsauma sentence example
- The most powerful missionary of Nestorianism during the 2nd half of the 5th century was Barsauma of Nisibis, whom his opponents called " the swimmer among the reeds," i.e.
- Barsauma must have been bishop of Nisibis for nearly 40 years, but was dead by 496.
- His fellow-worker Narsai, whom the Jacobites called " the leper," but the Nestorians " the harp of the Holy Spirit," apparently accompanied Barsauma from Edessa to Nisibis, where according to Barhebraeus he lived for 50 years.
- Barsauma appointed him head of the new school, where he taught rigidly Nestorian doctrine.
- By the energetic efforts of Barsauma, bishop of that city, practically the whole church of Persia was won over to the Nestorian creed.Advertisement
- The one has for its subject Barsauma and the other Nestorian leaders in Persia, and gives a highly malicious account of their proceedings.