Barri sentence example
- A small brook named Barri runs here into the sea, whence the place was formerly known in Welsh as Aber-Barri, but the name of both the river and the island is supposed to be derived from Baruch, a Welsh saint of the 7th century, who had a cell on the island.
- According to Giraldus, his own family derived its name de Barri from the island which they once owned.
- Francisque Michel, London, 18 37), which, together with the Expugnatio hibernica of Giraud de Barri, constitutes our chief authority on this subject.
- Spanish Gasper de Portola Filipe de Barri Felipe de Neve Pedro Fages.
- But in 1199 the celebrated Gerald de Barri (Giraldus Cambrensis), archdeacon of Brecon and a member of the famous Norman baronial house of de Barri, and also through his grandmother Nesta a great-grandson of Prince Rhys ap Tudor of Deheubarth, was elected bishop by the chapter of St Davids.Advertisement
- GIRALDUS CAMBRENSIS (1146 ?-1220), medieval historian, also called Gerald De Barri, was born in Pembrokeshire.
- He was the son of William de Barri and Augharat, a daughter of Gerald, the ancestors of the Fitzgeralds and the Welsh princess, Nesta, formerly mistress of King Henry I.
- Nesta's daughter, Angareth, married to William de Barri, bore the chronicler Giraldus Cambrensis, and was ancestress of the Irish Barries.
- Its leadership and organization had been entrusted to Godfrey de Barri, lord of la Renaudie (d.