Barnim sentence example
- Having in 1264 united the whole of Pomerania under his rule, Barnim devoted his energies to improving its internal condition.
- Barnim adopted the doctrines of Martin Luther, and joined the league of Schmalkalden, but took no part in the subsequent war.
- In 1569 Barnim handed over his duchy to his grand-nephew, John Frederick, and died at Stettin on the 2nd of June 1573.
- In the 15th century it was divided into upper and lower Barnim, and these names are now borne by two, circles (Kreise) in the kingdom of Prussia.
- From the beginning of the 12th century to 1637 it was the residence of the dukes of Pomerania, one of whom, Duke Barnim gave it municipal rights in 1243.Advertisement
- Barnim assisted the emperor Charles IV.
- He did not largely increase the area of Brandenburg, but in 1524 he acquired the county of Ruppin, and in 1529 he made a treaty at Grimnitz with George and Barnim XI., dukes of Pomerania, by which he surrendered the vexatious claim to suzerainty in return for a fresh promise of the succession in case the ducal family should become extinct.