Barillon sentence example
- and Barillon, the French ambassador, by whom he was supplied with a large sum of money, arranged a plan for effecting Danby's ruin.
- By the testimony of Barillon, however, it is clear that Russell himself utterly refused to take any part in the intended corruption.
- of 1778-1780); Journal de Jean Barillon, ed.
- His main purpose in visiting Paris was to superintend the transcription of the correspondence of Barillon, which he needed for his proposed life of James II.
- Barillon mentions Sacheverell among the Whig leaders who accepted bribes from Louis XIV., but the evidence against him is not conclusive.Advertisement
- He soon became involved in political intrigue, joining, in general, the country party, and holding close communication with Barillon, the French ambassador.
- But now, under the idea that an alliance between Charles and Orange would be more hostile to English liberty than would the progress of the French arms, he acted with Barillon in influencing members of parliament in this sense, and is twice mentioned as receiving the sum of Soo guineas from the ambassador.
- Of this there is no actual proof, and it is quite possible that Barillon entered sums in his accounts with Louis which he never paid away.