Bardas sentence example
- Bardas justified this usurpation by introducing various internal reforms; in the wars of the period Michael himself took a more active part.
- In 861 Michael and Bardas invaded Bulgaria and secured the conversion of the king to Christianity.
- In 867 Michael was assassinated by Basil the Macedonian, a former groom, who had overthrown the influence of Bardas and in 866 been associated in the Empire.
- The dissensions between the patriarch Ignatius and Bardas, the uncle of the youthful Emperor Michael III., brought promotion to Photius.
- He succeeded in escaping and was ultimately lucky enough to enter the service of Theophilitzes, a relative of the Caesar Bardas (uncle of Michael III.), as groom.Advertisement
- The next step was to murder the powerful Caesar Bardas, who, as the emperor was devoted to amusement, virtually ruled the empire; this was done with the emperor's consent by Basil's own hand (April 866), and a few weeks later Basil was raised to the imperial dignity.
- This was Bardas Sclerus, whom the eunuch deposed from his post of general in the East.
- To oppose him, Bardas Phocas, another general who had revolted in the previous reign and been interned in a monastery, was recalled.
- As a result Michael grew up a debauchee, and fell under the sway of his uncle Bardas, who induced him to banish Theodora to a convent and practically assumed the chief control (857).