Baradaeus sentence example
- The life of the great missionary bishop Jacob Burde`ana1 or Baradaeus, from whom the Monophysite Church took its name of Jacobite, belongs rather to ecclesiastical than to literary history.
- Jacobus Baradaeus, de Stichter der syrische monophysietische Kerk (Leiden, 1882).
- It was due to the great Jacob of Edessa (Jacob Baradaeus, d.
- 787, and was invented by hostile Greeks for the Syrian Monophysite Church as founded, or rather restored, by Jacob or James Baradaeus, who was ordained its bishop A.D.
- Once ordained bishop of Edessa, with the connivance of Theodora, James, disguised as a ragged beggar (whence his name Baradaeus, Syriac Burdeana, Arabic alBar adia), traversed these regions preaching, teaching and ordaining new clergy to the number, it is said, of 80,000.Advertisement
- A few years later Jacob Baradaeus, with Edessa as centre of his bishopric, was carrying on the propaganda of Monophysitism which won for the adherents of that creed the name of Jacobites.
- Klein, Jacobus Baradaeus (Leiden, 1882); Assemani, Bibl.