Bandello sentence example
- MATTEO BANDELLO (5480-5562), Italian novelist, was born at Castelnuovo, near Tortona, about the year 1480.
- The decisive battle of Pavia, which gave Lombardy into the hands of the emperor, compelled Bandello to fly; his house at Milan was burnt and his property confiscated.
- Bandello wrote a number of poems, but his fame rests entirely upon his extensive collection of Novelle, or tales (1 554, 1 573), which have been extremely popular.
- Bandello's novels are esteemed the best of those written in imitation of the Decameron, though Italian critics find fault with them for negligence and inelegance of style.
- The stories on which Shakespeare based several of his plays were supplied by Bandello, probably through Belleforest or Paynter.Advertisement
- The distinguished Latinists Pietro Bembo (1470-1547) and Jacopo Sadoleto (1477-1547) were papal secretaries, as well as the famous poet Bernardo Accolti (d.1534) Writers of poetry like Vida (1490-1566), Trissino (1478-1550), and Bibbiena (1470-1520), writers of novelle like Bandello, and a hundred other literati of the time were bishops;or papal scriptors or abbreviators, or in other papal employ.