Balta sentence example
- It is divided into twelve districts, the chief towns of which are KamenetsPodolskiy, the capital, Balta, Bratslav, Gaisin, Letichev, Litin, Mogilev-on-Dniester, Novaya-Ushitsa, Olgopol, Proskurov, Vinnitsa and Yampol.
- The trade with the interior is also carried on very briskly, especially at the twenty-six fairs, the chief of which are Balta and Yarmolintsy.
- Podolia is traversed by a railway which runs parallel to the Dniester, from Lemberg to Odessa, and has two branch lines, to Kiev (from Zhmerinka) and to Poltava (from Balta).
- Buness, near Balta Sound, was the house of Dr Laurence Edmonston (1795-1879), the naturalist.
- It has a gently sloping beach of fine sand and has been a popular bathing-place since the time of President Balta, although the country behind it is arid and absolutely barren.Advertisement
- Under the administration (1868-1872) of President Jose Balta the construction of two transandean and several coastal zone railways was begun, but their completion became impossible for want of funds.
- Balta's plans covered 1281 m.
- Its harbour, one of the best on the west coast of South America, has been greatly improved by the port works begun under the administration of President Balta.
- Then followed the ambitious schemes of President Balta, which with the loans of 5870 and 1872 raised the total foreign debt to £49,000,000, on which the annual interest charge was about £ 2, 5 ©0, 000, a sum wholly beyond the resources of the treasury.
- On the 2nd of August 1868 Colonel Juan Balta was elected president.Advertisement
- With the vast sum raised front guano and nitrate deposits President Balta commenced the execution of public works, principally railroads on a gigantic scale.
- In 1870 he was minister of justice and worship under President Balta, but shortly afterwards retired from public life to devote himself to his great geographical dictionary of Peru, which was published in 1877.
- BALTA, a town in the Russian government of Podolia, between the Dniester and the Bug, 131 m.
- Balta was in great part destroyed by the Russians in 1780.
- In 1866 it was brought into railway connexion with Kiev and Kharkov via Balta, and with Jassy in Rumania.Advertisement
- Balta >>