Ballia sentence example
- m., and comprises the districts of Benares, Mirzapur, Jaunpur, Ghazipur and Ballia.
- BALLIA, a town and district of British India, in the Benares division of the United Provinces.
- The district of Ballia, constituted in 1879, occupies an angle at the junction of the Gogra with the Ganges, being bordered by two districts of Behar.
- Owing to the great pressure on the soil from the density of the population, to the reluctance to part with land characteristic of small proprietors, to the generally great productiveness of land and to the very light assessment of government revenue, land in Ballia, for agricultural purposes merely, has a market value higher than in almost any other district.
- At the north end of the town there is a height, Bailey Hill (perhaps from ballia, the architectural term applied to fortified castle courts).Advertisement