Ballenstedt sentence example
- Aschersleben was probably founded in the 11th century by Count Esico of Ballenstedt, the ancestor of the house of Anhalt, whose grandson, Otto, called himself count of Ascania and Aschersleben, deriving the former part of the title from his castle in the neighbourhood of the town.
- JOHANN ARNDT (1555-1621), German Lutheran theologian, was born at Ballenstedt, in Anhalt, and studied in several universities.
- In 1581 he went back to Ballenstedt, but was soon recalled to active life by his appointment to the pastorate at Badeborn in 1583.
- Prince Frederick removed the ducal residence to Ballenstedt in 1765.
- (c. 1100-1170), margrave of Brandenburg, surnamed THE Bear, was the only son of Otto the Rich, count of Ballenstedt, and Eilika, daughter of Magnus Billung, duke of Saxony.Advertisement
- Ballenstedt >>
- BALLENSTEDT, a town of Germany, in the duchy of Anhalt, on the river Getel, 20 m.
- A few patches of Upper Carboniferous are found on the borders of the hills near Ilfeld, Ballenstedt, &c., lying unconformably upon the Devonian.
- The western or smaller portion (the so-called Upper Duchy or Ballenstedt) is also enclosed by the two latter districts and, for a distance of 5 m.
- The country is divided into the districts of Dessau, Cothen, Zerbst, Bernburg and Ballenstedt, of which that of Bernburg is the most, and that of Ballenstedt the least, populated.Advertisement
- Albert was descended from Albert, count of Ballenstedt, whose son Esico (d.
- Esico's grandson, Otto the Rich, count of Ballenstedt, was the father of Albert the Bear, by whom Anhalt was united with the mark of Brandenburg.