Balbi sentence example
- The 'ErL7-0,u1 7 has been translated by Pierre Balbi (Rome, 5469) and by Marsilio Ficino; into French by J.
- Of the Acilii Balbi, one Manius Acilius Balbus was consul in 150 B.C., another in 114.
- The most important of the name were the two Cornelii Balbi, natives of Gades (Cadiz).
- Bougainville, the largest of the group, contains Mt Balbi (10,170 ft.), and two active volcanoes.
- The Via Balbi again contains a number of palaces.Advertisement
- This discovery excited the greatest commotion among the scholars of all nations; and many of them hastened to Naples to see the marvellous statues of the Balbi and the paintings on the walls.
- From the city come, among many other marble statues, the two equestrian statues of the Balbi (Museo Borbonico, vol.
- Adrian Balbi >>
- The large bronzes are almost the only ones which have survived from classical times, the most famous of them being the seated Mercury and the dancing Faun; the marbles reckon among their vast number the Psyche, the Capuan Venus, the portraits of Homer and Julius Caesar, as well as the huge group called the Toro Farnese (Amphion and Zethus tying Dirce to its horns), the Farnese Hercules, the excellent though late statues of the Balbi on horseback and a very fine collection of ancient portrait busts.
- It has frequently been alleged that his relations with Mme de Balbi, and indeed with women generally, were of a platonic nature.Advertisement
- De Reiset (La Comtesse de Balbi, pp. 152-161) produces evidence to disprove this assertion.
- At this time ended his liaison with Mme de Balbi, and the influence of d'Avaray reached its height.
- For various episodes, see Vicomte de Reiset, La Comtesse de Balbi (Paris, 1908; contains a long bibliography, chiefly of memoirs concerning the emigration, and is based on documents); J.
- At the same time he cultivated literature, entertaining poets and writers both at the Luxembourg and at his chÃ¢teau of Brunoy (see Dubois-Corneau, Le Comte de Provence a Brunoy, 2909), and gaining a reputation for wit by his verses and mots in the salon of the charming and witty comtesse de Balbi, one of Madame's ladies, who had become his mistress, 4 and till 1793 exerted considerable influence over him.
- flight to Varennes, Monsieur also fled by a different route, and, in company with the comte d'Avaray ' - who subsequently replaced Mme de Balbi as his confidant, and largely influenced his policy during the emigration - succeeded in reaching Brussels, where he joined the comte d'Artois and proceeded to Coblenz, which now became the headquarters of the emigration.Advertisement