Balard sentence example
- Balard having given him an opportunity for chemical work by appointing him to the post of laboratory assistant.
- Balard completed for many years Berzelius's group of " halogen " elements; the remaining member, fluorine, notwithstanding many attempts, remained unisolated until 1886, when Henri Moissan obtained it by the electrolysis of potassium fluoride dissolved in hydrofluoric acid.
- Hydrobromic and hydriodic acids were investigated by Gay Lussac and Balard, while hydrofluoric acid received considerable attention at the hands of Gay Lussac, Thenard and Berzelius.
- Balard discovered chlorine monoxide in 1834, investigating its properties and reactions; and his observations on hypochlorous acid and hypochlorites led him to conclude that " bleaching-powder " or " chloride of lime " was a compound or mixture in equimolecular proportions of calcium chloride and hypochlorite, with a little calcium hydrate.
- Antoine Jerome Balard >>Advertisement
- Balard at the Ecole Normale, and in 1859 became professor at the Sorbonne in place of J.
- Balard at the College de France, in 1876 he succeeded that chemist in the chair of chemistry, and in 1882 he became directing professor at the municipal Ecole de Physique et de Chimie.
- Balard, ibid., p. 758), BaO 2 +CO 2 +H 2 O=H 2 O 2 +BaCO 3.
- ANTOINE JEROME BALARD (1802-1876), French chemist, was born at Montpellier on the 30th of September 1802.
- While the discovery of bromine and the preparation of many of its compounds was his most conspicuous piece of work, Balard was an industrious chemist on both the pure and applied sides.Advertisement
- Balard determined the volume composition of the gas by decomposition over mercury on gentle warming, followed by the absorption of the chlorine produced with potassium hydroxide, and then measured the residual oxygen.
- Balard in 1826 from the salts in the waters of the Mediterranean.
- Balard, his former master, and about the same time he began his life-long friendship with Ernest Renan.