Baius sentence example
- In 1602 he entered the university of Louvain, then in the throes of a violent conflict between the Jesuit, or scholastic, party and the followers of Michael Baius, who swore by St Augustine.
- BAIUS, or DE BAY, Michael (1513-1589), Belgian theologian, was born at Melun in Hainault in 1513.
- The champions of this reaction fought under the banner of St Augustine; and Baius' Augustinian predilections brought him into conflict with Rome on questions of grace, free-will and the like.
- To this Baius submitted; though certain indiscreet utterances on the part of himself and his supporters led to a renewal of the condemnation in 1579 by Gregory XIII.
- Baius, however, was not disturbed in the tenure of his professorship, and even became chancellor of Louvain in 1575.Advertisement
- There is an excellent study of both books and author by Linsenmann, Michael Baius, and die Grundlegung des Jansenismus, published at Tubingen in 1867.
- It was an attempt to reconcile, in words at least, the Augustinian doctrines of predestination and grace with the Semipelagianism which, as shown by the recent condemnation of Baius, had become prevalent in the Roman Catholic Church.
- Baius is chiefly interesting as a forerunner of the more celebrated Cornelius Jansen (see Jansen).