Bagshot sentence example
- In the north and west the clay is interspersed with patches of plateau gravel in the direction of Finchley (where boulder clay also appears), Enfield and Barnet; and of Bagshot sands on Hampstead Heath and Harrow Hill.
- The proportional amount of these materials in a sandy soil on the Bagshot beds and a stiff Oxford clay is given below: - The pore-space within the soil, i.e.
- On the infertile Bagshot Beds the large area of the New Forest remains untilled under its ancient oaks.
- The next stage is represented by the Lower Bagshot leaf-beds of Alum Bay.
- To the Bagshot Sand succeeds the thick mass of sands with intercalated plant-beds seen in Bournemouth cliffs.Advertisement
- These consistently showed a depth of about 35cm of gray sandy topsoil directly overlying the natural sand of the Bagshot Beds.
- The Bagshot Beds in the west form infertile tracts of sandy soil, covered with heath and pine, where space is available for the great camps and military training-grounds round Aldershot, and for the extensive cemeteries at Woking The London Clay in the east is more fertile and crowded with villages, while the East Anglian portion of the basin consists of the more recent Pliocene sands and gravels, which mix with the boulder clay to form the best wheat-growing soil in the country.
- The finest trees in the country are not yet much over 20 feet high, and are to be found in Cornwall, where the rainfall is heavy and the atmosphere moist; all the same, there are good ones at Kew, Bagshot, and many other places.