Badoglio sentence example
- "PIETRO BADOGLIO (1871-), Italian general, was born at Grazzano (Alessandria) Sept.
- Corps, obtained the appointment of Badoglio as interim commander of the corps (May 12).
- At the battle of Caporetto, Badoglio commanded the same corps, the left wing of which was broken by Otto von Below's attack from the Tolmino bridgehead.
- 1918, on Giardino's transference to Versailles, Badoglio acted as sole sub-chief-of-staff under Diaz.
- Badoglio's rapid rise was explained by the qualities which he showed in a special degree: determination, energy, and thoroughness.Advertisement
- Next came Badoglio's XXVII.
- Corps, the Bersaglieri were given to Cavaciocchi as an additional reserve, and Badoglio received the Napoli brigade for the purpose of holding this important point.
- Meanwhile the Alpenkorps, Berrer's two divisions, and Scotti's right wing were breaking up Badoglio's left, while the latter's right, across the river, and Caviglia's XXIV.
- Henriquez's attack on the Bainsizza plateau, although it met with some initial success, was readily repulsed, and Badoglio's troops captured several hundred prisoners in a strong counterattack.
- Badoglio had hoped to hold the enemy attack from Tolmino, and turn the scale by a counter-attack on the Lom plateau with his three divisions on the left bank of the river.Advertisement
- In any case, Badoglio was not afforded the chance of attempting any such manoeuvre as he may have had in mind.
- It was not until the afternoon that Badoglio heard that his front lines were gone and his main positions threatened.
- A further difficulty was that no definite plan of action had been agreed on between Cavaciocchi, Buongiovanni and Badoglio, whose close cooperation was clearly necessary.
- In fact, as has been shown already, Badoglio had little idea of how the fight was going on his front; Buongiovanni was in the dark regarding the general situation except for the calls which came from Cavaciocchi; and Cavaciocchi, who saw his own danger, had played his cards too soon, and had nothing left.
- Capello had already transferred Badoglio's division beyond the river to the command of the XXIV.Advertisement