Badlesmere sentence example
- Although very hostile to Earl Thomas of Lancaster, Badlesmere helped to make peace between the king and the earl in 1318, and was a member of the middle party which detested alike Edward's minions, like the Despensers, and his violent enemies like Lancaster.
- The king captured the castle, seized and imprisoned Lady Badlesmere, and civil war began.
- After the defeat of Lancaster at Boroughbridge, Badlesmere was taken and hanged at Canterbury on the 14th of April 1322.
- In 1320 owing to Badlesmere's influence Pope John XXII.
- After the execution of Badlesmere in 1322 Burghersh's lands were seized by Edward II., and the pope was urged to deprive him; about 1326, however, his possessions were restored, a proceeding which did not prevent him from joining Edward's queen, Isabella, and taking part in the movement which led to the deposition and murder of the king.Advertisement
- He acted as assistant to Badlesmere until the execution of the latter; and then, trusted by Edward III., was constable of Dover Castle and warden of the Cinque Ports.
- But the king, who showed himself un- I~a,icaster expectedly vindictive, beheaded him at once; three other peers, Badlesmere, Clifford and Mowbray,were subsequently executed, with a score of knights.