Bacchiglione sentence example
- It lies at the northern base of the Monti Berici, on both sides of the Bacchiglione, at its confluence with the Retrone.
- Remains of a theatre and of a late mosaic pavement with hunting scenes have been found, three of the bridges across the Bacchiglione and Retrone are of Roman origin, and arches of the aqueduct exist outside Porta S.
- Padova), a city of northern Italy, on the river Bacchiglione, 25 m.
- The city is picturesque, with arcaded streets, and many bridges crossing the various branches of the Bacchiglione, which once surrounded the ancient walls.
- At the beginning of the 11th century the citizens established a constitution, composed of a general council or legislative assembly and a credenza or executive; and during the next century they were engaged in wars with Venice and Vicenza for the right of water-way on the Bacchiglione and the Brenta - so that, on the one hand, the city grew in power and selfreliance, while, on the other, the great families of Camposampiero, D'Este and Da Romano began to emerge and to divide the Paduan district between them.Advertisement
- above sea-level) lay and lies on a peninsula surrounded by the Bacchiglione except on the south, where it was protected by a canal.