Bacchides sentence example
- The dates of the rest of the extant plays, here given in alphabetical order, are quite uncertain, namely, Amphitruo, Aulularia, Bacchides, Captivi, Casina, Curculio, Epidicus, Menaechmi, Mercator (probably later than the Rudens, as shown by F.
- We have from him one mythological burlesque, the Amphitruo, and several plays dealing with domestic subjects like the Captivi, Cistellaria, Rudens, Stichus and Trinummus; but most of his plays depend for their main interest on intrigue, such as the Pseudolus, Bacchides, Mostellaria.
- In the middle ages Plautus was little regarded, and twelve of his plays (Bacchides - Truculentus) disappeared from view until they were discovered (in the MS. called D) by Nicholas of Troves in the year 1429.
- So Alcimus-Jakim was made high priest and Bacchides brought an army to instal him in his office.
- In face of his active opposition Alcimus could not maintain himself without the support of Bacchides and was forced to retire to Antioch.Advertisement
- Bacchides and Alcimus returned meanwhile into the land of Judah; at Elasa " Judas fell and the rest fled " (i Macc. ix.
- Bacchides occupied Judaea and made a chain of forts.
- But on the death of Alcimus Bacchides retired and Jonathan with his followers settled down beyond the range of the Syrian garrisons.
- This failure seems to have convinced Bacchides that it would be well to recognize Jonathan and to secure a balance of parties.
- They were used by the inhabitants of Arbela as a place of refuge from the army of Bacchides, general of Demetrius king of Syria, and were the resort of bandits in the reign of Herod the Great.Advertisement
- In Plautus (Bacchides iv.
- In 161 Judas defeated Nicanor at Adasa, but within a few weeks thereafter, in a heroic struggle against superior numbers under Bacchides at Elasa, he was himself cut off.
- Bacchides, the general of the Syrians, captured and fortified it (1.