Antigonid sentence example
- Whilst the Antigonid kingdom remained practically whole till the Roman conquest ended it in 168 B.C., and the house of Ptolemy ruled in Egypt till the death of Cleopatra in 30 B.C., the Seleucid Empire perished by a slow process of disruption.
- A similar problem confronted the Antigonid dynasty in the cities of Greece itself, for to maintain a predominant influence in Greece was a ground-principle of their policy.
- Demetrius had presented himself in 307 as the liberator, and driven the Macedonian garrison from the Peiraeus; but his own garrisons held Athens thirteen years later, when he was king of Macedonia, and the Antigonid dynasty clung to the points of vantage in Greece, especially Chalcis and Corinth, till their garrisons were finally expelled by the Romans in the name of Hellenic liberty., The new movement of commerce initiated by the conquest of Alexander continued under his successors, though the breakup of the Macedonian Empire in Asia in the 3rd century and the distractions of the Seleucid court must have withheld many advantages from the Greek merchants which a strong central government might have afforded them.
- For domains in Antigonid, Attalid and Bithynian realms, see Cic. De leg.
- For the Antigonid court see Diog.Advertisement
- The Antigonid dynasty, simpler and saner in its manners, had no official cult of this sort.
- The Antigonid and Seleucid courts had much valuable material at hand for their armies in the barbarian races under their sway.
- Of the numbers and constitution of the Antigonid fleet we know nothing.'