Anti-ecclesiastical sentence example
- No one of Voltaire's works shows his antireligious or at least anti-ecclesiastical animus more strongly.
- And rightly; for he had always had a warm heart for Italy; and had it not been for the anti-ecclesiastical policy of the house of Piedmont, he would not, in the 'sixties, have been wholly averse from reconciliation.
- Wolsey fell when Campeggio was recalled, and his fall involved the triumph of the anti-ecclesiastical party in England.
- An act of 1545 dissolved chantries, colleges and other religious foundations; and in the autumn of 1546 the Spanish ambassador was anticipating further anti-ecclesiastical measures.
- This showed itself not merely in the anti-papal reformation of Luther, but also in the anti-feudal rising of the peasants and in a variety of anti-ecclesiastical movements within the reformation areas themselves.Advertisement