Andernach sentence example
- At first the Treveri resisted the appeal of Civilis and his Batavi to join the revolt, and built a defensive wall from Trier to Andernach, but soon after the two Treverans, Tutor and Classicus, led their fellow tribesmen, aided by the Lingones (Langres), in the attempt to set up a "Gallic empire."
- In northern Europe should be mentioned Gulielmus Copus (1471-1532) and Gunther of Andernach (1487-1584), better known as Guinterius Andernacensis, both for a time professors at Paris; and, among the greatest, Thomas Linacre (about 1460-1524; see Linacre).
- Single tree trunks sent down to the Rhine by the various tributaries are united into small rafts as they reach the main stream; and these again are fastened together to form one large raft about Andernach.
- Otto's precarious position was saved by a victory near Andernach when Eberhard was killed, and Giselbert drowned in the subsequent flight.
- Charles was recalled to Gaul, and after the death of Louis the German (28th August 876), in his turn made an attempt to seize his kingdom, but at Andernach met with a shameful defeat (8th October 876).Advertisement
- Andernach has considerable industries, brewing and manufactures of chemicals and perfumes, and has also a trade in corn and wine.
- Andernach (Antunnacum) is the old Roman Castellum ante Nacum, founded by Drusus and fortified in the 3rd century A.D.
- In 1109 Andernach received civic rights, passed in 1167 to the electors of Cologne, in 1253 joined the confederation of the Rhine cities and was the most southern member of the Hanseatic league.
- In 1 794 Andernach passed to France, but in 1815 was ceded, together with the left bank of the Rhine, to Prussia.
- In 876, the year before his death, he took a third crown, that of Italy, though not without a fresh defeat at Andernach by Louis the Germans troops.Advertisement