Anagni sentence example
- His early years were passed at Anagni.
- The chief signed works by Jacopo the younger and his brother Luca are at Anagni and Subiaco.
- After quarrelling with the French king, Philip le Bel, he fell into the hands of the Colonna family at Anagni, and died, either of the violence he there received or of mortification, in October 1303.
- On the 25th of June 1243 he was elected pope by the cardinals assembled at Anagni.
- Thirteen of them assembled at Anagni, and thence, on the 9th of August, issued a passionate manifesto, announcing the invalidity of Urban's election, on Election of the ground that it had been forced upon the conclave Anti-pope by the Roman populace.Advertisement
- After the arrest, by Philip's orders, of Bernard Saisset (q.v.), bishop of Pamiers, in that year, the quarrel flamed up again; other causes of difference existed, and in 1302 the pope issued the bull Unam sanctam, one of the most extravagant of all statements of papal claims. To ensure the support of his people the king had called an assembly of the three estates of his kingdom at Paris in April 1302; then in the following year Guillaume de Nogaret seized the person of the pope at Anagni, an event immortalized by Dante.
- Boniface at length put him in prison for safe keeping; he died in a monastic cell in the castle of Fumone near Anagni on the 19th of May 1296.
- He lived at Rome until after the incident at Anagni.
- The first period he spent in France, the latter chiefly in Gaeta, Benevento, Anagni and Venice.
- With Sciarra Colonna, Nogaret surprised Boniface at Anagni, on the 7th of September 1303, as the latter was about to pronounce the sentence of excommunication against the king.Advertisement
- Threatened, but not maltreated, the pope had remained three days under arrest when the citizens of Anagni freed him.
- His chancellor, Nogaret, went to Anagni to seize the pope and drag him before a council; but Boniface died without confessing himself vanquished.