Anacletus sentence example
- After a hasty consecration he was forced to take refuge with a friendly noble by the faction of Pierleoni, who was elected pope under the name of Anacletus II.
- Here he called a council which condemned Anacletus.
- A second expedition of Lothair expelled Roger of Sicily (to whom Anacletus had given the title of king in return for his support) from southern Italy, but a quarrel with Innocent prevented the emperor attacking Rome.
- At this crisis, in January 1138, Anacletus died, and a successor elected by his faction, as Victor IV., resigned after two months.
- Its immediate task was to neutralize the after-effects of the schism, which had only been terminated in the previous year by the death of Anacletus II.Advertisement
- As St Peter's was held by Anacletus, Lothair's coronation as emperor took place on the 4th of June 1133 in the church of the Lateran.
- He had taken part in the double election of 1130, had been one of the most determined opponents of Anacletus II.
- The ardour he had displayed in securing the recognition of Innocent and defending him against his enemies, particularly the anti-pope Anacletus and the kingdom of the Two Sicilies, involved him in a course which was not precisely favourable to the imperial rights.
- In 1130 Roger was crowned at Palermo, by authority of the antipope Anacletus, taking the strange title of " king of Sicily and Italy."
- The price was a crown, and on the 27th of September 1130 a bull of Anacletus made Roger king of Sicily.Advertisement
- Bernard of Clairvaux, Innocent's champion, built up against Anacletus and his " half heathen king " a coalition joined by Louis VI.
- During the schism of Anacletus (1131-1137) the town of Brescia was torn by the struggles between the partisans of Pope Innocent II.
- There are ruins of the castle constructed in the 9th or 10th century, in which the antipope Anacletus II.