Amaxosa sentence example
- The Amaxosa are the principal Kaffir tribe in Cape Colony proper.
- This was due, in large measure, to an extraordinary delusion which arose among the Amaxosa in 1856, and led in 1857 to the death of some 50,000 persons.
- The Amaxosa had not accepted their defeat in 1853 as decisive and were preparing to renew the struggle with the white men.
- These orders were, at first, that the Amaxosa were to destroy their fat cattle.
- Certainly some of the principal chiefs regarded all that was done simply as the preparation for a last struggle with the whites, their plan being to throw the whole Amaxosa nation fully armed and in a famishing condition upon the colony.Advertisement
- This error they realized too late, and endeavoured by fixing the resurrection for another day to gather the clans, but blank despair had taken the place of hope and faith, and it was only as starving suppliants that the Amaxosa sought the British.
- To Sir George was also due the first attempt, missionary effort apart, to educate the Kaffirs and to establish British authority firmly among them, a result which the self-destruction of the Amaxosa rendered easy.