Alumen sentence example
- The word alumen, which we translate alum, occurs in Pliny's Natural History.
- Pliny informs us that alumen was found naturally in the earth.
- Different substances were distinguished by the name of "alumen"; but they were all characterized by a certain degree of astringency, and were all employed in dyeing and medicine, the light-coloured alumen being useful in brilliant dyes, the dark-coloured only in dyeing black or very dark colours.
- Several other species of alumen are described by Pliny, but we are unable to make out to what minerals he alludes.
- The alumen of the ancients, then, was not the same with the alum of the moderns.Advertisement