Alleghanies sentence example
- The first rolling mill west of the Alleghanies was probably one near Morgantown.
- It appears to be less numerous on the western side of the Alleghanies, though found in suitable localities across the continent to the Pacific coast, but seldom farther north than Virginia and southern Illinois, and it is said to be common in Kansas.
- While the English colonies were slowly digging their way, taking firm hold of the soil, and growing in numbers, from the sea to the Alleghanies, French missionaries and explorers had ranged far and wide.
- Therefore the French government strove to unite the beggarly settlements in Canada and Louisiana by setting up posts all along the Ohio and the Mississippi, in order to confine the English between the Alleghanies and the sea.
- The struggle which the frontier settlers of Pennsylvania had made in the state legislature to secure unlimited issues of paper money and the enactment of laws favourable to the debtor class prejudiced him against the West, and he tried to introduce into the constitution a clause guaranteeing forever the political supremacy of the states east of the Alleghanies.Advertisement
- The Layton Art Gallery contains one of the best collections of paintings west of the Alleghanies.
- As "Mitchell's Bank" this institution was known for forty years as one of the strongest banking houses west of the Alleghanies, its notes passing at par during panics in which even the government issues were depreciated.
- These institutions survived the panic of 1837 and soon came to be recognized as among the most prosperous and the most conservative banks west of the Alleghanies.
- The existence of outflows or springs of gas in the region west of the Alleghanies had long been known, and much gas was used for illuminating purposes in Fredonia, New York, as early as 1821.
- In the states west of the Alleghanies each township covers an artificial area 6 m.Advertisement
- In 1787, Virginia and the other states having relinquished their claims to the country west of the Alleghanies, the North-West Territory was organized by Congress by the famous Ordinance of 1787.
- Middle Park is not level, but is traversed thickly by low ranges like the Alleghanies; in the bordering mountain rim are several of the grandest mountain peaks and some of the most magnificent scenery of the state.
- De Langlade led his French and Indian forces against the American frontier communities west of the Alleghanies.
- During the War of Independence the movement to create another state beyond the Alleghanies was revived, and a petition (1776) for the establishment of " Westsylvania" was presented to Congress, on the ground that the mountains made an almost impassable barrier on the east.
- As a result every county beyond the Alleghanies except one voted to reject the constitution, which was nevertheless carried by eastern votes.Advertisement
- C. acuminata has more pointed leaves, and it also has spikes of white scented flowers; it is quite a small tree in the woods of the Alleghanies.