Alhama sentence example
- Troops were summoned to Seville and the war began by the siege of Alhama, a town eight leagues from Granada, the Moorish capital.
- Alhama is finely situated on a ledge of rock which overlooks a deep gorge traversed by the river Marchan or Alhama; while the rugged peaks of the Sierra de Alhama rise behind it to a height of 6800 ft.
- Few vestiges of antiquity survived, except the baths from which Alhama (in Arabic " the Bath ") derives its name.
- In the 15th century Alhama, and the neighbouring fortress of Loja, were generally regarded as the keys of the kingdom of Granada, and their capture went far to insure the overthrow of the Moorish power.
- Alhama was taken by the Spanish marquis of Cadiz in 1482; and its fall is celebrated in an ancient ballad, Ay de mi, Alhama, which Byron translated into English.Advertisement
- These ranges are continued farther west by the Sierra de Alhama and Sierra, de Ahdalajiz.
- At Alhama, in Granada, more than 1000 persons were killed and injured, several churches and convents destroyed, and 30C houses laid in ruins.