Algoa sentence example
- Algoa Bay was the first landing-place of the British emigrants to the eastern province of Cape Colony in 1820.
- By seafarers "Algoa Bay" is used as synonymous with Port Elizabeth.
- The little settlement gradually spread eastwards, and in 1754 the country as far as Algoa Bay was included in the colony.
- They were landed in 1820, in Algoa Bay, where they founded Port Elizabeth and the Albany settlement.
- Eastward it is limited by the hills which almost reach the sea in the direction of St Francis and Algoa Bays.Advertisement
- Algoa Bay was discovered by Bartholomew Diaz in 1488, and was by him named Bahia da Roca, probably with reference to the rocky islet in the bay, on which he is stated to have erected a cross (St Croix Island).
- In 1754 the Dutch settlements at the Cape were extended eastwards as far as Algoa Bay.
- From Algoa Bay he made direct for Kuruman, Bechuanaland, the mission station, 700 m.
- St Croix is a rock in Algoa Bay, upon which Diaz is stated to have erected a cross.
- It rises in the Sneeuwberg north-west of Graaff Reinet, flows south-east through one of the most fertile districts of the Great Karroo, which it pierces at the western end of the Zuurberg (of the coast chain), and reaches the ocean in Algoa Bay.Advertisement
- Port Elizabeth, in Algoa Bay, had 32,959 inhabitants, East London, at the mouth of the Buffalo river, 25,220.