Alem sentence example
- In 1889 the association of the " Union Civica " was founded, and the organization undertaken by Dr Leandro Alem, Dr Aristobulo del Valle, Dr Ber nardo Irigoyen, Dr Vicente Lopez, Dr Lucio Lopez, Dr Oscar Lilliedale and other leading citizens.
- The untiring energy and zeal of Leandro Alem fitted him for being the chief organizer of a movement into which he threw himself heart and soul.
- Finding that the more conservative section of the union would not follow him, Alem formed a new association to which he gave the name of Union Civica Radical.
- In April 1892 Alem and his chief colleagues were arrested and sent into exile.
- Dr Alem, who had been permitted to return from exile, was not slow to profit by the occasion.Advertisement
- Here the efforts of Dr Alem succeeded in supplying a large body of rebels with arms and ammunition, and he was able, by a bold attack, to seize the town of Rosario and there establish the revolutionary headquarters.
- The revolt speedily collapsed before this redoubtable commander, and Alem and the other leaders surrendered.
- This compact aroused the bitter enmity of Dr Leandro Alem, who did his utmost to stir up the Union Civica to a campaign against the neutral candidate.
- But Alem was not content with constitutional opposition to the Acuerdo, and his movement soon assumed the character of a revolutionary propaganda against the national government.