Alegre sentence example
- The first is formed by the confluence of the Jacuhy, Cahy, Sinos and Gravatahy, and is known under this name only from Porto Alegre to the Ponta de Itapua, where it enters the Lagoa dos Patos.
- The railway from Porto Alegre to Novo Hamburgo and Taquara (55 m.) affords an outlet for some of the older German colonies.
- The railway from Porto Alegre to Uruguayana is completed from Margem da Taquary to Cacequy, 232 m.
- Porto Alegre, like many Brazilian cities, is in a transition stage, and handsome new structures of French and Italian styles rise from among the low, heavy and plain old buildings of Portuguese origin.
- The most noteworthy public buildings are the Cathedral (Porto Alegre being the see of a Roman Catholic bishop), the handsome church of Nossa Senhora das Dores, the municipal palace, school of engineering, government palace, legislative halls, school of medicine, athenaeum, normal school and public library and military barracks.Advertisement
- Porto Alegre was founded in 1743 by immigrants from the Azores and was at first known as Porto dos Cazaes.
- It was made a villa in 1803, and in 1807, when Rio Grande do Sul was made a captaincy-general, the transfer of the capital from Rio Grande to Porto Alegre was officially recognized.
- The first German immigrants to settle near Porto Alegre arrived in 1825, and much of its prosperity and commercial standing is due to the German element.
- The Rio Grande-Bage railway communicates with the city of Rio Grande, and with the railways extending to Bage, Cacequy, Santa Maria, Passo Fundo and Porto Alegre.
- A cross-country line was under construction in 1909 to Cacequy, which is in direct communication with Porto Alegre and the city of Rio Grande.Advertisement
- Monte Alegre reaches an altitude of several hundred feet.