Aldabra sentence example
- The Aldabra Islands constitute an atoll consisting of an oval ring of land, some 40 m.
- With regard to birds and land shells the relation is much closer to the Comoros species, and the latter, of which I have collected seven species besides Rachis aldabrae, may serve to point out more than the birds the land connexion of Aldabra with the neighbouring countries."
- Aldabra, however, although situated in that region of the Indian Ocean which forms part of the site of the IndoMadagascar continent of the Secondary period, is not a peak of the submerged land.
- In any case, however Aldabra was formed, there can be no suggestion of its ever having been joined to any other land (Stanley Gardiner).
- Dupont states that at Aldabra the coral foundation is totally above water.Advertisement
- Aldabra was visited by Portuguese navigators in 1511.
- In 18ro with Mauritius, Bourbon, the Seychelles and other islands, Aldabra passed into the possession of Great Britain.
- With other outlying islands Aldabra is held under lease from the Seychelles government, the lessees having exclusive trading privileges.
- Several species of large fossil tortoises have also been discovered; they are quite different from the living ones of Aldabra, in the same zoological region.
- Until 1903 the Seychelles, Amirantes, Aldabra and other islands lying north of Madagascar were also part of the colony of Mauritius.Advertisement
- Together with the Amirantes, Cosmoledo, Aldabra and other islands they form the British colony of Seychelles.
- There are several peculiar tortoises, but the gigantic species are now found alive only on the little island of Aldabra, to the north.
- Other highlights were the Aldabra Tortoises, the Wolf Snake and the very beautiful endemic geckos.