Alcaldes sentence example
- In 1536 legislation for changing the method of general government and regulating common pasturages and public property caused extreme dissatisfaction, but for many years thereafter the form of control alternated between alcaldes selected by the inhabitants and annual governors appointed by the Council of the Indies.
- Municipalities are administered by mayors (alcaldes) and assemblies elected by the people, and control strictly municipal affairs.
- Two chief courts of justice (audiencias) sat at Havana (after 1832) and Puerto Principe (1800-1853); appeals could go to Spain; below the audiencias were "alcaldes mayores " or district judges and ordinary " alcaldes " or local judges.
- Local government till 1786 was largely in the hands of alcaldes majores and corregidores, the latter established in 1531 to look after the Indians, and both appointed by purchase.
- It was, however, a consequence of his work that in q 1786 the provinces and kingdoms were replaced by twelve intendencias (Guadalajara, Zacatecas, Durango, Sonora, Puebla, Vera Cruz, Merida, Oaxaca, Valladolid, Guanajato, San Luis Potosi, Mexico), whose governors and minor officials were directly dependent on the viceroy, the former alcaldes, mayores and corregidores, who were very corrupt, being abolished.Advertisement
- These districts are administered by one or more alcaldes or mayors, assisted by municipal councils, both alcaldes and councils being chosen by the people.
- The islands were subdivided into provinces under alcaldes majores who exercised both executive and judicial functions.
- Hairdressers were made into alcaldes, and sailors were transformed into gobernadors by the miraculous grace of royal decrees.
- Before the end of the war Mexican laws not incompatible with United States laws were by international law supposed to be in force; but nobody knew what they were, and the uncertainties of vague and variable alcalde jurisdictions were increased when Americans began to be alcaldes and grafted English common-law principles, like the jury, on Californian practices.
- The corregidores and alcaldes also exercise the functions of a justice of the peace in the cantons and rural districts.Advertisement
- As the prefect has the appointment of subordinate department officials, including the alcaldes, the authority of the national executive reaches every hamlet in the republic, and may easily become autocratic. There are no legislative assemblies in the departments, and their government rests with the national executive and congress.
- Subordinate to the prefects are the subprefects in the provinces, the corregidores in the cantons and the alcaldes in the rural districts - all appointed officials.
- In the larger towns the alcalde shares his reponsihilities with several permanent officials called tenientes alcaldes.