Alcala sentence example
- Influenced by the Jesuit John Ramirez he entered the Society of Jesus in 1564, and after teaching philosophy at Segovia, taught theology at Valladolid, at Alcala, at Salamanca, and at Rome successively.
- Here, in his thirty-third year, he began to learn Latin, and after two years his master urged him to go to Alcala to begin philosophy.
- In his fifteenth year he entered the order of St Augustine, was afterwards professor of theology at the university of Alcala, and published a Cursus theologiae in five volumes (1732-1738).
- Alcala de Henares contains a military academy and various public institutions, but its commercial importance is slight and its main interest is historical.
- King John was killed at Alcala on the 9th of October 1390 by the fall of his horse, while he was riding in a fantasia with some of the light horsemen known as the farfanes, who were mounted and equipped in the Arab style.Advertisement
- He studied at the university of Alcala, and was admitted at the age of seventeen into the Society of Jesus.
- He was educated by the Jesuits at Rome till his seventeenth year, when he accompanied Jerome Colonna as chamberlain to the university of Alcala in Spain.
- He studied (1515-1520) at Alcala, where Sancho Carranza, his uncle, was professor; entering (1520) the Dominican order, and then (1521-1525) at Salamanca and at Valladolid, where from 1527 he was teacher of theology.
- Alcala de Henares (pop. (1900) 11,206) is separately described on account of its historical importance.
- Alcala la Real (1 5,973), a picturesque town with a fine abbey, is situated in mountainous country in the extreme south-west of Jaen.Advertisement
- Alcala de los Gazules (8877), on the river Barbate, in the province of Cadiz, has a thriving trade in cork and agricultural produce.
- Alcala de Guadaira (8198), on the river Guadaira, near Seville, is popularly called Alcala de los Panadores, or "Alcala of the Bakers," because it supplies Seville with large quantities of bread.
- Alcala de Chisbert (6293) is situated on the coast of Castellon de la Plana; Alcala del Rio (3006), on the Guadalquivir, 6 m.