Alava sentence example
- Biscay is one of the Basque Provinces, and its name is occasionally employed as geographically equivalent to Basque, in that case including the three provinces of Biscay proper, Guipuzcoa and Alava.
- The surface of Alava is very mountainous, especially on the north, where a part of the Pyrenees forms its natural boundary.
- For a fuller account of the history, people and customs of Alava, see Basques and Basque Provinces, with the works there cited.
- Of the Provinces, Guipuzcoa is the only one which is wholly Basque, Alava is the least so.
- In Alava the ruling power was the confederation of Arriaga (so called after its meeting place), which united the province to the crown of Castile in 1332.Advertisement
- The house of Mendoza claimed to descend from the lords of Llodio in Alava, and to have been settled in Old Castile, in the 11th century.
- In the 12th century the kings of Castile gradually annexed the Rioja and Alava.
- El Reyno de Navarra Senorio de Vizcaya y Provincias de Alava y Guipuzcoa (Madrid, 1802), is full of local information, but with a strong bias in favour of the central government.