Alajuela sentence example
- The whites are congregated in or near the chief towns, which include the capital, San Jose (pop. 1904 about 24,500), the four provincial capitals of Alajuela (4860), Cartago (4536), Heredia (7151) and Liberia or Guanacaste (2831), with the seaports of Puntarenas (3569), on the Pacific, and Limon (3171) on the Atlantic. These, with the exception of Heredia and Liberia, are described in separate articles.
- At San Jose these lines reunite, and the railway is continued to Alajuela, the small Pacific port of Tivives, and Puntarenas.
- For purposes of local administration the state is divided into five provinces, Alajuela, Cartago, Guanacaste, Heredia and San Jose, and two maritime districts (comarcas), Limon and Puntarenas.
- Alajuela is built at the southern base of the volcano of Poas (8895 ft.) and overlooks the fertile plateau of San Jose.
- Alajuela is the centre of the Costa Rican sugar trade, and an important market for coffee.Advertisement
- The province of Alajuela includes the territory of the Guatusos Indians, along the northern frontier; the towns of Atenas, Grecia, Naranjo and San Ramon (all with less than 5000 inhabitants), and the gold-mines of Aguacate, a little north of Atenas.