Aira sentence example
- The most noteworthy waterfalls are - Scale Force (Dano-Norwegian fors, foss), besidesCrummock, Lodore near Derwentwater, Dungeon Gill Force, beside Langdale, Dalegarth Force in Eskdale, Aira near Ullswater, sung by Wordsworth, Stock Gill Force and Rydal Falls near Ambleside.
- The last three forms grow only on the genera Aira, Agrostis and Poa respectively.
- Amongst the grasses which may be spared, Aira caespitosa, Briza media and Cynosurus cristatus are generally much reduced by irrigation.
- Aira is a genus of delicate annuals with slender hair-like branches of the panicle.
- Some such species are Blechnum boreale, Aira flexuosa, Calluna vulgaris, Vaccinium, Myrlillus, Rubus, Chamaemorus, Empetrum nigrum, Drosera spp. Some, at least, of these species possess mycorhiza in their roots, and are perhaps unable to live in soils where such organisms are absent.Advertisement
- Hair Grass (Aira) - Graceful grasses, of which one of the prettiest is A. pulchella, with hair-like stems, growing in light tufts 6 inches high.