Air-passages sentence example
- The leaf-stalks and flowerstalks are traversed by longitudinal air-passages, whose disposition varies in different species.
- Haemoptysis denotes an escape of blood from the air-passages, which is usually bright red and frothy from admixture with air.
- In pneumonic cases it is presumed to enter by the air-passages, and in bubonic cases by the skin.
- In pneumonic cases patients no doubt spread it around them by coughing, and others may take it up through the air-passages or the skin; but even then the range of infection is small, and such cases are comparatively rare.
- Thus irritation of the eye causes winking and secretion of tears, by which the irritant is removed; irritation of the nose causes sneezing; of the air-passages, coughing; of the stomach, vomiting; and of the intestines, diarrhoea.Advertisement
- The reason of this appears to he that the diplococcus is frequently present in the mouth or air-passages without giving rise to any symptoms; but when the patient is exposed to chill, and the tissues of the respiratory passages are thereby weakened, the diplococcus grows, multiplies and gives rise to inflammation of the lungs.