Agobard sentence example
- The vehement protest made in the 9th century by Agobard, bishop of Lyons, against the Lex Gundobada shows that it was still in use at that period.
- Agobard occupies an important place in the Carolingian renaissance.
- In his purely theological works Agobard was strictly orthodox, except that he denied the verbal inspiration of the Scriptures.
- Agobard was reverenced as a saint in Lyons, and although his canonization is disputed his life is given by the Bollandists, Ada Sanctorum, Jun.
- The life of Agobard in Ebert's Geschichte der Litteratur des Mittelalters (1880), Band ii., is still one of the best to consult.Advertisement
- Following the advice of his ministers Walla and Agobard, supporters of the policy of unity, Louis the Pious put Bernard of Italy, Charlemagnes grandson, to death for refusing to acknowledge Lothair as coemperor; crushed a revolt in.
- Yet his elder sons revolted against him in 831 and 832, and were supported by Walla and Agobard and by their followers, weary of all the contradictory oaths demanded of them.