Aethelwulf sentence example
- Aethelwulf >>
- AETHELWULF, king of the West Saxons, succeeded his father Ecgberht in A.D.
- On the accession of AEthelwulf, AEthelstan, his son or brother, was made sub-king of Kent, Surrey, Sussex and Essex.
- AEthelwulf's reign was chiefly occupied with struggles against the Danes.
- In 851 also AEthelwulf and AEthelbald won their great victory at Aclea, probably the modern Ockley.Advertisement
- In 853 AEthelwulf subdued the North Welsh, in answer to the appeal of Burgred of Mercia, and gave him his daughter AEthelswith in marriage.
- 855 is the year of the Donation of AEthelwulf and of his journey to Rome with Alfred.
- AEthelbert, AEthelwulf, AEthelred, and was used obviously to indicate their noble birth.