Aeschin sentence example
- Hermann, De Aeschin.
- 10, 62 f.; Aeschin.
- 51; Aeschin.
- It was originally composed of twelve tribes dwelling round Thermopylae - the Thessalians, Boeotians, Dorians, Ionians, Perrhaebians, Magnetes, Locrians, Oetaeans, Phthiotes, Malians, Phocians (Aeschin.
- 149; Aeschin.Advertisement
- Matters of greater importance, as the levy of an extraordinary fine on a state or the declaration of a sacred war, it presented in the form of a resolution to an assembly (EKKXrtvia), composed of the deputies, the amphictyonic priests, and any other citizens of the league who chanced to be present (Aeschin.
- It was also in the material interest of Apollo that the council passed a law which forbade the Greeks to levy tolls on pilgrims to the shrine (Aeschin.
- 545) A law of great interest, dating from the beginning of the institution, imposed an oath upon the members of the league not to destroy an amphictyonic city or to cut it off from running water in war or peace; but to wage war upon those who transgressed this ordinance, to destroy their cities, and to punish any others who by theft or plotting sought to injure the god (Aeschin.
- The earliest known amphictyonic penalty was the destruction of Crisa for having levied tolls on pilgrims (Aeschin.
- The second and third Sacred Wars, fought in the 4th century B.C., were waged by the amphictyons against the Phocians and the Amphissaeans respectively for alleged trespassing on the sacred lands (Aeschin.Advertisement