Aedui sentence example
- Prominent among them, and dwelling in the division occupied by the Celts, were the Helvetii, the Sequani and the Aedui, in the basins of the Rhodanus and its tributary the Arar (Saone), who, he says, were reckoned the three most powerful nations in all Gaul; the Arverni in the mountains of Cebenna; the Senones and Carnutes in the basin of the Liger; the Veneti and other Armorican tribes between the mouths of the Liger and Sequana.
- It was the capital of the Aedui in the time of Julius Caesar.
- Haedui Aedui >>
- His chief exploits in Gaul were the defeat of the Treviri under Indutiomarus in 54, his expedition against Lutetia (Paris) in 52, and his victory over Camulogenus and the Aedui in the same year.Advertisement
- They were subsequently allowed by Caesar to settle in the territory of the Aedui between the Loire and the Allier.
- In 60 B.C. the German king Ariovistus had defeated the Aedui, who were allies of Rome, and had wrested from the Sequani a large portion of their territory.
- Of the survivors a few were settled amongst the Aedui; the rest were sent back to Switzerland lest it should fall into German hands.
- Before the arrival of Caesar in Gaul, the Sequani had taken the part of the Arverni against their rivals the Aedui and hired the Germans under Ariovistus to cross the Rhine and help them (71 B.e.).
- But although his assistance enabled them to defeat the Aedui, the Sequani were worse off than before, for Ariovistus deprived them of a third of their territory and threatened to take another third.Advertisement
- The Sequani then appealed to Caesar, who drove back the Germans (58), but at the same time obliged the Sequani to surrender all that they had gained from the Aedui.
- The Bituriges Cubi, called simply Bituriges by Caesar, in whose time they acknowledged the supremacy of the Aedui, inhabited the modern diocese of Bourges, including the departments of Cher and Indre, and partly that of Allier.
- The tribes who sent some of their numbers to invade Italy and settle there were the Bituriges, Arverni, Senones, Aedui, Ambarri, Carnuti and Aulerci.
- Autun (Augustodunum) succeeded Bibracte as capital of the Aedui when Gaul was reorganized by Augustus.
- The Aedui are an ancient Gallic people whose native home was the eastern and southeastern areas of France, between modern day Saone and Loire.Advertisement
- The Aedui had a relatively peaceful existence until they were invaded by German tribes and fled to what is now present day Burgundy, France.
- When the Aedui fled, they brought the Pinot Noir grapes with them and replanted them in Burgundy.