Aeclanum sentence example
- The original road, too, adopted in imperial times a more devious but easier route by Aeclanum instead of by Trevicum.
- between Beneventum and Aeclanum.
- Aeclanum >>
- AECLANUM, an ancient town of Samnium, Italy, 15 m.
- Two different routes to Apulia diverged at this point, one (Via Aurelia Aeclanensis) leading through the modern Ariano to Herdoniae, the other (the Via Appia of the Empire) passing the Lacus Ampsanctus and going on to Aquilonia and Venusia; while the road from Aeclanum to Abellinum (mod.Advertisement
- 819) speaks of another road, which he believes to have been that followed by Horace, from Aeclanum to Trevicum and thence to Ausculum; but Th.
- 602) is more likely to be right in supposing that the road taken by Horace ran directly from Beneventum to Trevicum and thence to Aquilonia (though the course of this road is not yet determined in detail), and that the easier, though somewhat longer, road by Aeclanum was of later date.