Adoptianism sentence example
- The recantation was probably insincere, for on returning to his diocese he taught adoptianism as before.
- This theory, however, depended upon unverified assumptions, such as the supposed silence of theologians about the creed at the beginning of the 9th century; the suggestion that the completed creed would have been useful to them if they had known it as a weapon against the heresy of Adoptianism; the assertion that no MS. containing the complete text was of earlier date than c. 813.
- It was on his initiative that this synod condemned the heresy of adoptianism and the worship of images, which had been restored in 787 by the second council of Nicaea; and at the same time that council was declared to have been superfluous.
- We see how deep the early Adoptianism had struck its roots, when a primate of the 12th century could still appeal to the baptismal regeneration of Jesus.Advertisement
- Adoptianism >>
- The rival type of early theology is known as Adoptionism or Adoptianism.
- 2 Spanish Adoptianism breaks up the unity almost without disguise.
- A Western echo of the Christological controversies of the East is found in the Adoptianism of Spain 785-818).
- Theology is now not merely the dogma of the Divine nature or of Christ's person; it is also a dogmatic 2 The term Adoptianism arose at this time.Advertisement
- The proposition Deus non factus est aliquid secundum quod est homo was condemned by a synod of Tours in 1163 and again by the Lateran synod of 1179, but Adoptianism continued all through the middle ages to be a source of theological dispute.
- 230), a prominent Christian teacher at Rome, who held Adoptianist (see ADOPTIANISM), or humanitarian views, of the same type as his elder contemporaries the Theodotians, though perhaps asserting more definitely than they the superiority of Christ to the prophets in respect of His supernatural birth and sinlessness.