Adolphe sentence example
- His mother, Elisabeth Santi-Lomaca, whose sister was grandmother of Louis Adolphe Thiers, was a Greek.
- "ADOLPHE MAX (1869-), burgomaster of Brussels at the outbreak of the World War, was born at Brussels Dec. 31 1869, and was educated at the university of his native city.
- The causes of this insurrection were manifold, and, moreover, interdependent: the injury done to the military prestige of France by its defeats in Europe; the fall of the imperial government, in which, in the eyes of the natives, the authority of France was incarnate; and the insults offered with impunity in the streets by the civil population to the officers, who were loved and respected by the Arabs, at the same time that the decree of Adolphe Cremieux accorded to the Algerine Jews the rights of French citizens.
- Adolphe Monod was his uncle.
- In London in 1815 he published Adolphe, one of the earliest examples of the psychological novel.Advertisement
- It had been written in 1807, and is intrinsically autobiographical; that Adolphe represents Constant himself there is no dispute, but Ellenore probably owes something both to Madame de Charriere and Madame de Stael.
- In the most important of his writings, De la religion consideree dans sa source, ses formes, et ses developpements (5 vols., 1825-1831), he traces the successive transformations of the religious sentiment imperishable under its varying forms. Besides Adolphe, in its way as important as Chateaubriand's Rene, he left two other sketches of novels in MS., which are apparently lost.
- Melegari in 1895; the semi-autobiographical Adolphe; his letters to Madame de Charriere; to Madame Recamier, edited by Madame Lenormant in 1882.
- Adolphe Mathieu (1802-1876) belongs to the earlier half of the century, although the tenth and last volume of his Ouvres en vers was only printed in 1870.
- Du Cane, Punishment and Prevention of Crime (1885); Braco, Estudos penitenciarios e criminaes (Lisbon, 1888); Garofalo, Studio sul delitto, sulle sui cause e sui mezzi di repressione (1890); Adolphe Guillot, Les Prisons de Paris (1890); Tallack, Preventive and Penological Principles (1896); Salillas, Vida penal en Espana (Madrid).Advertisement
- There is also an International hospital for the treatment of others than Italians, which was built by Lady Harriet Bentinck and is managed by an international committee; a German hospital; and a hospital erected by the representatives of Baron Adolphe de Rothschild.
- He also collaborated with Adolphe Hatzfeld in a Dictionnaire general de la langue francaise (2 vols., 1895-1900).
- He had two sous, " said Madame Adolphe, looking at Madame Marmus with an accusing air.
- In France Edouard Adolphe Drumont led the way to a similar animosity, and the popular fury was fanned by the Dreyfus case.
- He introduced some improvements in the method, but the only real advance was the introduction of mediate percussion by Pierre Adolphe Piorry (1794-1879) in 1828.Advertisement
- He had two sous, said Madame Adolphe, looking at Madame Marmus with an accusing air.