Adiabatics sentence example
- (4) Expansion or compression under the condition of heat-insulation, represented by curves called Adiabatics, such as BAZ or CDZ', which are necessarily steeper than the isothermals.
- A cycle such as ABCD enclosed by parts of two isothermals, BC, AD, and two adiabatics, AB, CD, is the simplest form of cycle for theoretical purposes, since all the heat absorbed, H', is taken in during the process represented by one isothermal at the temperature o', and all the heat rejected, H", is given out during the process represented by the other at the temperature 0".
- Taking this ideal limit as a theoretical or absolute zero, the value of H may be represented on the diagram by the whole area included between the two adiabatics BAZ, CDZ' down to the points where they intersect the isothermal of absolute zero, or the zero isopiestic OV asymptotically at infinity.
- It is not necessary in this example that AB, CD should be adiabatics, because the change of volume BC is finite.
- In order to restore the substance to its original temperature 0' at constant pressure, it would be necessary to supply a further quantity of heat, H, represented by the area between the two adiabatics from FC down to the absolute zero.Advertisement
- The adiabatics are lines of constant entropy, and are also called Isentropics.