Acosta sentence example
- Tot/15,s de Acosta, governor from 1797 to 1809, confirmed this report, and stated that the Indians were clothed in bark, and compelled in many cases to borrow even this primitive attire when the law required their attendance at church.
- Hernandez and Acosta shared the opinion of their time that the great fossil bones .found in Mexico were remains of giants, and that, as before the deluge there were giants on the earth, therefore Mexico was peopled from the Old World in antediluvian times.
- The Mexican adventure is mentioned by Acosta, but all trace of the culture had died out before the end of the century.
- Returning to Spain in 1587, and placing himself at the head of the opposition to Acquaviva, Acosta was imprisoned in 1592-1593; on his submission in 1594 he became superior of the Jesuits at Valladolid, and in 1598 rector of the Jesuit college at Salamanca, where he died on the 15th of February 1600.
- Apart from his sophistical defence of Spanish colonial policy, Acosta deserves high praise as an acute and diligent observer whose numerous new and valuable data are set forth in a vivid style.Advertisement
- Unlike Spinoza (who was about fifteen at the time of Acosta's death), Acosta was not strong enough to stand alone.
- In this brief work Acosta declares his opposition both to Christianity and Judaism, though he speaks with the more bitterness of the latter religion.
- Acosta was not an original thinker, but he stands in the direct line of the rational Deists.
- Acosta committed suicide in 1647.
- Acosta says he retained the sparrow's head in his statue.Advertisement
- This is a thoroughly good example of the savage myths (as in Peru, according to Acosta) by which beasts and anthropomorphic gods and stars are all jumbled together.'