Acanthobdella sentence example
- - The leeches are more particularly to be compared with the Oligochaeta, and the following definition embraces the main features in which they agree and disagree with that group. Setae are only present in the genus Acanthobdella.
- Coelom generally reduced to a system of tubes, sometimes communicating with vascular system; in Acanthobdella and Ozobranchus a series of metamerically arranged chambers as in Oligochaeta.
- In Acanthobdella the testes are, however, not contained in the general coelom, and the nephridia lie in the septa.
- Ozobranchus possesses a coelom which is less typically chaetopodous than that of Acanthobdella, but more so than in other leeches.
- These septa are, however, rather incomplete and are not fastened to the gut; and, as in Acanthobdella, the nephridia are embedded vv FIG.Advertisement
- - Acanthobdella, from the ventral surface, showing the five sets of setae (S 1 to S5) and the replacing setae (Sr) behind them.
- In Acanthobdella, however, the testes of each side of the body have grown together to form a continuous band, which extends in front of external pore.
- It is to be noted that the Hirudinea differ from the Oligochaeta in that the male pore is in advance of the gonads (except in Acanthobdella, which here, as in so many points, approximates to the Oligochaeta), whereas in Oligochaeta that pore is behind the gonads (again with an exception, Aliurus).
- Furthermore, in the mid region of the body this coelom is broken up by metamerically arranged septa, as in Acanthobdella.